Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First Day and Last Day of School - Silver Bay - 1956 and 1969

September 1956:

Place:  Our cabin in Silver Bay Trailer Court.
Event:  Ready for my first day of kindergarten, Campton.  Mom made my dress.  The white "thing" she called a pinafore.  It had pockets. The dog is Boots.  I've written about him in other blogs.

And this is Bill - first day of school. Edison Blvd. Silver Bay.   My future mother-in-law, Ruby, kept a very organized album with many of his childhood pics.  The date on the photo is Nov. '56, but she wrote in the album that the first day of kindergarten was September 4.  His teacher was Mrs. Backlund.




June 1969:
Must have taken a camera to school the last day at Kelley High.  Bill took this photo.  "Narta at her empty locker."  Sigh.  I cried many tears at graduation. I recall only a few days when I did not want to go to school. 
And I wonder who took this photo with both of us in the Kelley cafeteria.


Cafeteria food: Remember tomato soup?  Grilled cheese sandwiches? Bean burgers?  And mashed potatoes with huge dollops of butter and a rectangle of "meat something" that pretended to be Spam?

I decided to abandon my Campton experiences for a bit and write about Kelley - in honor of my friends who went to Mary Mac and/or Kelley for first grade through sixth.

No comments: