Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Silver Bay and the Dog Named Boots - Conclusion

So, brought up on episodes of LASSIE  - during which I had to hide behind a chair during the climax of the show, not knowing if Lassie and/or Timmy would survive or die - and episodes of RIN TIN TIN, a super dog that could leap and fly across canyons and rivers to "get her man," when the judge of the dog competition in Silver Bay asked if Boots knew any tricks I shook my head and mumbled "no."

Daddy, behind me, whispered, "He knows how to shake hands."  Oh, Daddy, I thought, all dogs can do that.  But the judge smiled at me and said, "Oh, let me see."   I told Boots to sit as I bent down and put out my hand.  Boots lifted a paw and I shook it. The judge nodded, made a note of this event in her judging book, smiled at me again and moved on to the next dog.

The judge's smile stayed in my mind.  Boots was handsome, well-behaved and wearing a bright red bow.  Why shouldn't he win a prize? 

Time for the announcement of winners.  When it came to the canine category I held my breath. When Boots did not win third place or second place, my heart beat so quickly... Then first place was announced. Boots did not win that, either. I was stunned.  All our hard work for nothing.  Well, what could I expect from a dog that couldn't even jump out of a shallow cardboard box?  But wait....   

Another prize was going to be awarded - the dog that knew the most tricks.  And there you have it.  Boots won and Daddy and I brought home a croquet set, courtesy of S & Q Hardware. So don't underestimate your dog's abilities. And remember, when in competition, it doesn't hurt if one of the judges was your Sunday School teacher.

No comments: