Friday, March 4, 2011

Silver Bay and a Dog Named Boots, Part 3

So back to the competition.  Mrs. R., the judge, finally got to me as stood there on the pavement in front of the Rexall store. Daddy was slightly behind me. The Pomeranian named Boots was next to me on a leash.  The dog was on his best behavior and very patient as the judge petted him and looked him over.

At the big New York dog show I've seen on television a judge always watches the dogs trot around a circuit.  But in Silver Bay, there was none of this.  All the people stood in line with their pets and the judge came by, looked at the animals and asked some questions.  When Mrs. R. (Romer? Reemer?) came to me she asked me the dog's name and maybe how old he was.  I probably explained that actually he was my sister Karen's dog.

But there was one question I know she asked:  Does Boots know any tricks?  I shook my head.  Mom, Daddy, Karen and I all agreed the Boots was kinda dopey - he couldn't even jump out of his very low cardboard box.  Tricks?  No, he didn't know any tricks, I said.  Then, Daddy whispered from behind me.  "He can shake hands."

Shake hands?  Didn't all dogs know how to do that?  I'd seen Lassie and Rin Tin Tin on TV.  Now
those dogs knew how to do tricks.... (to be concluded soon).

No comments: