Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Paul Bunyan, a Ghost of Minnesota Travels Past

Weather's in the 80s this week.  The tomatoes are planted in our little patch.  So I decided to take a memory trip to  summers past.

I do believe the old Paul Bunyan Amusement park has come and gone.  Relocated elsewhere in or near Brainerd, I believe.  Can it be as wonderful as the park I remember?  I don't know how he did it, but Paul B. actually knew me by name!! And me with such an unusual name, too.  But then, he was the hero of tall tales.

Here I am on a statue of Mr. Bunyan's dog.  The dog obviously got in the way of some tree felling and was unluckily sewn together by someone who needed to pay more attention in Home Ec class.



I would guess the photo was taken in the summer of 1960 or 61.

Besides Paul's hearty welcome, my strongest memory regards a talented chicken.  It shared its cage with a tiny piano. If you put a nickel in a slot, corn was released through a shoot into the pen.  The chicken, now paid, would play for you.  Nothing fancy, of course.  The hen's repertoire, no doubt, was small.

By the way, can anyone tell me the name of Paul's doggie???

No comments: