Friday, February 25, 2011

In Hollywood Thinking about Silver Bay, Writing, and Life

Just feel like writing something on the blog even though I don't have any Silver Bay stuff on my mind.  Went to BevMo today to look for soda chargers - we like fizzy water but not the idea of transporting all that glass and plastic around the globe.  Anyway, we bought a soda siphon awhile ago and we're almost out of soda chargers.  While waiting in the check-out line I was reading the walls  - the store is decorated with quotes about eating and drinking and its joys.  Have to look at Ecclesiastes as they had a quote there about enjoying life - that sounds upbeat compared to much of the Bible quoting I hear these days.  But I digress.

It was a Kierkegaard quote that jumped out at me from that wall.  The computer couldn't read the scan on the box of my soda chargers so I had time to read that quote a few times and think about it - "We must live forward."  Wow, I thought.  And here I am spending hours thinking and writing about my childhood.  Somewhere I have to reconcile that - I do not want to live in the past as that's... well, it's past, isn't it?  But, then, should I trust the graphics on a BevMo wall?  And is that really what Kierkegaard said?  Maybe the translation is a bit dicey.

I remember another quote which I cannot credit as I don't remember where I heard it or read it or who said it.  "The past isn't over.  The past isn't even past."  Interesting. After all, our backgrounds are who we are - using background as a HUGE thing that includes who we know, have known, where we live, have lived, what we've seen, read, done, etc. etc. etc.  So maybe memoir is about the past and also about the future.

And then, what about "living in the now?"  Eckhart Tolle's  The Power of Now is a best-seller. I'm guessing he's sold more books than the Dane I mentioned above.  I've read most of Tolle's book and it's easy going compared to Fear and Trembling.  

Good grief.  And to think I was planning to write about a stray dog that was wandering in my neighborhood on Wednesday.  But here's the photo I took with my phone camera so I could post notices on the telephone poles.
(Updated 8/15 - Below WAS a photo.  No idea what happened to it or why)
She had a collar but no name tag. But her name, Luna - I wouldn't know this except the story has a happy ending.  My neighbor's vet discovered she had a chip and the owner was contacted.  Yes, he'd lost his dog. Until then, I was wondering and worrying - should we, could we keep her?  Did I know anyone that might want her?  For a day and a half I could barely think of anything else. I was, I think, living forward.

No comments: