Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An Autograph Book...

The pic of an autographed baseball is in my last posting.. I must say I long to still possess the pink vinyl autograph book that one of my three sisters gave me.  Inside was a slip of paper with the autograph of Frank Camacho.

So many of us had parents and grandparents that were European, mostly Scandinavian, that when I saw a photo of Frank Comacho - I think he was the high school's first exchange student - when I saw his picture in the Silver Bay News I thought, "what a dreamy guy."  I believe he was from Guam.  I know he was a basketball player because that's the reason I have his autograph - or, I should say HAD his autograph.

It was a tournament game, probably on a Saturday afternoon. And for those of us who went to Campton Elementary, attending an event at Kelley High was more of a big deal than for those who went to Mary Mac and Kelley during grade school.

In any case I went to this game - and most likely with my friend Susie.  And Frank must have played a heck of a game  (also don't forget his dreamy looks and those short-legged uniforms the guys used to wear.)   We asked him for his autograph.  To me he was a celebrity - even more than Duluth's Dottie Becker! My little heart pounded as we walked up to him. He signed his name on a slip of paper, he smiled.  Ahhh...

It was after that game that I yearned for an autograph book.  No doubt I assumed that in the future I might need one.The only autographs actually on the pages were written by my girlfriends after I brought the book to a couple of slumber parties.  Some wrote little verses.  I just flashed on one that Carla Schultz wrote:

"On your wedding day,
It's going to snow.
And don't tell me
I didn't tell you so."   

And she was right.  There was an enormous snowstorm on the weekend of our wedding.

If  I could find that autograph book again... I'm sure the folded slip of paper would still be in there. But, alas, the book's gone missing. The memento is only tucked within my childhood memories.

No comments: