Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Living in a Safe, Beautiful Nurturing Bubble

After losing my high school friend Julie last week I haven't felt like posting anything cheery the past few days. So this post will be more reflective.  A few of my former Kelley classmates have e-mailed me.  Here are two descriptions they used to describe Silver Bay in those messages: microcosm and naive childhood.


I cannot begin to count how many times I heard Mom and my mother-in-law Ruby say that "Silver Bay was a good place to bring up kids." A few years ago I told stories about Silver Bay in a coffee house.  Then I started writing.  As I work on a memoir of that time and place, I struggle with the central point of the venture.  It was in the main such a happy childhood.  So safe and secure. Was it too safe and secure?  Was there a downside of living in a bubble off  Highway 61?  Did Silver Bay's sheltered life prepare us enough for life in the bigger world?  I wonder if any of my classmates have any thoughts on the subject.

I suspect that the upside wins out.  The older I get the more I suspect that safety in childhood gives a person resilience and, in the main, a stable optimistic state of mind.  In the main, I believe that safety and security is best for as long as possible.  There will plenty opportunities later to face fear of all kinds.



  

No comments: