Thursday, January 6, 2011

For my Silver Bay friends...

Not long ago I saw my class picture from kindergarten - Mrs. Firmhinac's class. Now it's gone missing. Instead I scanned my personal photo.

So, why this blog?  I spent several years in a storytelling group in North Hollywood.  Told many stories about life in Silver Bay and then began to write them down.  At some point I was reading "Angela's Ashes" and came to a quote about a happy childhood not being worth your while.  Then on a visit to Duluth my Duluthian aunt told me, "Silver Bay?  You can write a whole book about that?"  You can't hear her inflection.  Let's say the subtext I heard was: "How in the world could anyone write much of anything about a dinky little town which was never interesting in the least and who in the world would want to read such a book."

My original title - FROM THE TACONITE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.


A good blog is a short blog.  Enough for today.

UPDATE 5/24/14
I still plan to write my Minnesota childhood memoir one day.  I honestly believe the town gave its young people a place to feel safe and secure - that ultimately made us more contented as adults.  I leave it to a sociologist to do a study of the early days of Silver Bay.  One of the possible titles of my S.B. memoir is Days of Wonder.   I would appreciate any comments if you happen upon this or other blog entries.  Cheers, L.


 

1 comment:

Sue Morrow said...

I love this picture of you! I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of such short bangs was. It's a fashion statement that I don't think will ever be repeated. I think I miss the innocence of those days.