Friday, June 27, 2014

Silver Bay.... 1957-1958 - First Grade

FIRST GRADE DANCE RECITAL
 

I am in first grade.  My teacher is Mrs. Schmidt.  She is tall.  This year I am going to learn to read!  Our book is about a boy named Dick and a girl named Jane.

I am very excited after the first day of school.  When I get to my house I see my dad.  He's on the top of the step by the front door.  I run fast. I want to tell him about everything that happened.

The lawn is green and slippery.  I fall down.  When I stand up I see something on my hand.  I scream. Daddy sees it. He flicks it off with a finger. He says it's just a slug.  I don't like slugs.


Our house is on Charles Circle.  I can walk to school. In kindergarten we lived in the trailer court near Lake Superior. I had to ride to school. Sometimes now I walk home for lunch.  I like to eat chicken noodle soup for lunch.

My sister goes to the new high school.  She walks to school, too.  She goes by the shopping center on her way to school.  Sometimes she buys magazines at the Rexall Drug store.  One magazine she buys has pictures of Elvis Presley.  I like to see the pictures. Elvis is going into the army.  The army cuts his hair off.  Maybe I can learn to read about it soon. My sister also has Time magazine. It's for a class in school. There are pictures. But I want to learn how to read this, too.

No comments: