Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Journey from Frail Girl to Lady Golfer

Writing brings awareness - I'm not the first person to think, say or write this.  However... after dealing with my girlish fear of the trampoline in a previous post, I now realize that too often I still see myself as that weak little girl being teased by boys on the playground and in gym class.
Before the Dance



The photo above was taken a few years earlier than the trampoline horrors. I'm standing in a hallway at Campton Elementary prior to a dance recital in the gym - same gymnasium that would provide great cultural experiences but frightful phy ed classes.

Now this is how I prefer to think of myself - hitting one of my best tee shots ever.  Photo was taken by my nephew Erik at a course at Camarillo, CA, towards the coast, about 50 minutes away from our house in Hollywood. 
 
It's only when it comes to my athletic abilities, or lack thereof, that I wish that I had brothers and/or gone to school after 1972's Title IX.    Golf was the first sport I ever tried except for a few months of tennis one summer in high school.  To take up your first sport in your forties has been a challenge - physically, yes, but the mental image of becoming an athlete may be the greatest hurdle.
 

No comments: